Utility application

The city of Winthrop provides utilities for the following services:





Storm Sewer



Utility meters are read on the 20th of the month. If the 20th of the month falls on a weekend or Federal holiday, they are read the very next Monday. Bills are printed at city hall and sent out towards the end of the month. Non-profit organizations or businesses wishing to add inserts into utility bills must reach out to the city by the 20th of each month. City staff accepts them on a first come basis. All inserts cost $20/page of color or black and white (this is the rate for both non-profits and businesses).

Bills are due by the 15th of each month. Bills that are unpaid do receive an 8% service fee. Bills can be paid online, in person at City Hall or by placing your payment in the payment box at 305 N Main St. PO BOX Y. Winthrop, MN 55396 (located at the entrance to the parking lot at City Hall). For online payment, use the ONLINE PAYMENT option at the top right of the page.

Each year the City Council, by resolution, sets fees and utility rates for all city services. The rates and fee schedule is printed yearly in Winthrop News. The rates and fees can be found below.

cold weather rule

Minnesota’s Cold Weather Rule (CWR) is a state law that protects residential utility customers from having electric or natural gas service shut off between October 1 and April 30. To protect your service from disconnection you must make and keep a payment plan that you and your utility agree on. The utility must offer a payment plan that is reasonable for your household’s financial circumstances. You can set up a CWR payment plan any time during the CWR season.

You are eligible for CWR protection even if you rent – the electricity or gas must be the primary heat source and the utility account must be in your name.

You and your utility must agree to a payment plan that is reasonable for your household. You can set up a CWR payment plan any time during the CWR season.

All natural gas and electric utilities must offer CWR protection. CWR does not apply to delivered fuels; oil and propane or wood. If you use delivered fuels, and your furnace is run by electricity, you should apply for CWR protection with your electric company.

To contact the local utility please call 507-647-5306 or by email utilities@winthropminnesota.com

PACE Program for commercial buildings

This program works hand in hand with the commercial rebates that are provided by our electricity provider Minnesota Municipal Power Agency. 


Find more information on their website at
Property Assessed Clean Energy (PACE)

Utility Adjustment policy and forms

Want to find out more about both of these options and how they can work together to save you money?

Call or email City Hall

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *

Scroll to Top